Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fenton, MO / Oconomowoc, WI

A two-parter - After making a delivery in Sterling Heights I was sent into Detroit to pick up some automotive parts to be taken to Fenton, MO some 550 miles away. This is a JIT load (Just in Time). I'm delivering it to a Chrysler Motors Plant. I guess they need the parts. I'll get there tomorrow at 6:00 am. I stopped for the night in Edwardsville, IL at a Schneider Operating Center near St. Louis.

Then after dropping that off I travel to Granite City to pick up a load at a Proctor and Gamble plant which I need to take up to Oconomowoc, WI and deliver at midnight. That trip will be about 400 miles. If I play my cards right I should get close by about 1:00 pm. I'll take my 10 hour break and get to Oconomowoc by 12:00 am.

Hopefully, they'll send me home after that and I can arrive sometime Wednesday. I'll have to check it out with them tomorrow during the day.

My delivery this morning was to the Detroit newspaper plant. I was delivering pallets with newspaper inserts. It was fascinating to watch the unloading. They used forklifts to get the pallets out of the truck and then they placed them on a conveyor belt which took them to robotic carts which picked them up and took them into the plant. Empty robotic carts would come out and line up for the next pallet. There was no track they followed that I could see. It was strange seeing them move around on the floor, taking right and left turns, backing up and moving forward. It was a pretty efficient operation.

I hope your week is starting out well. I'll keep you informed as to my progress tomorrow. - James (Jibs - Dad/Papa )

No comments: