Friday, August 31, 2007

Browns Summit, NC

I spent the night in Crawfordsville, IN. I'm in the process of delivering a load to a Proctor & Gamble Distribution Ctr in Browns Summit, NC. I'll probably drop it off at about 7:00 pm tonight. I have about 600 miles to drive today.

Yesterday, I spent part of the morning getting additional training on 'Backing'. It was very helpful. I learned a lot of tricks and did quite well. Positioning the truck is critical. The trainer said most drivers make the mistake of thinking they are 'truck' drivers. Really, they are 'trailer' drivers. My tendency is to over steer. (turn the wheel too much).

I then was sent to Iowa City, IA to pick up a load. It is fairly light. 28,000 lbs. I left there at 2:30 pm and drove until 9:00 pm.

In case you weren't aware of it, the Cubs are in first place by 2 1/2 games. I probably jinxed them by mentioning this.

I've been watching episodes of 'Ice Road Truckers' on my computer. It's a TV series on the Discovery Channel about trucks that haul loads up into northern Canada over frozen lakes. The ice is only thick enough to drive on for 60 days. Some trucks have fallen thru the ice. Rarely, does the driver survive something like that. You can make in 2 months what other truckers make in a year. Temps can get as low as 50 below zero. It gives you a good idea of what it is like to drive.

It is, my daughter, Erika's birthday today. She is doing really well in life. She's raising two wonderful little girls, Sydney & Elsa, and working on a doctorate in Sociology. Just doing one of those is a full-time job. She is quite a remarkable woman. Happy Birthday, Erika!

I'll know tonight where I'm going next. I'll keep you informed. Have a great Labor Day Weekend! - James (Jibs - Dad/Papa )

No comments: