Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rotterdam, NY

Another long and interesting day. I left early this morning from Fairmont, WV and headed south. Drive thru light snow for a couple of hours, but then it cleared. I started out with temp around 20. Finished the day with temp at 66. I arrived later than I wanted in Jonesville, SC. And was then sent down to Beech Island, SC which is very close to Augusta, GA. I picked up a load for Kimberley-Clark which I now need to take 1,000 miles north to Rotterdam, NY which is close to Albany.

I was to pick up an empty in Beech Island and drop it at KC and then pickup a loaded trailer there. There were no empty trailers where they sent me and I was only 2 miles from KC so I tried my luck with bobtailing in. There was no problem. I was in and out within 20 minutes. Schneider did send a message and said they wanted me to bobtail 185 miles to pick up an empty trailer and then drive back the 185 miles to drop it at KC. I'm going to talk to them about it tomorrow morning.

This load I have now needs to be in Rotterdam by Friday which will mean 500 miles a day.

On the way down from Jonesville I drove by some large plantation homes. It felt like I was back 150 years. There were cotton fields on either side of the road. I think I drove through the town where Strom Thurmond was either born or went to school. (Johnston, SC).

Along the way I stopped for a short break and when I tried to start the truck nothing happened. I had experienced this in another truck so I had an idea of what to do. I lifted up the hood of the truck, got out my trusty hammer and rapped on the starter a few times. Got back in the truck and it started right up. It felt like magic, though I actually think I knocked some rust off some brushes.

It's nice to have warm weather even if it only will be for a day. I hope your day went well. I'll let you know how the trip goes. - James (Jibs - Dad/Papa )

No comments: