Saturday, April 14, 2007

Dalton, GA

I'm spending the night at a truck stop near Dalton, GA. I'm right off I-75 almost in TN.

This morning I drove from Augusta, GA to Dublin, GA (120 miles). It was a nice drive through the country on state highways.

Unloading the trailer in Dublin was quite an experience. I was carrying 20 tons of loose paper. I had to back the truck up a ramp onto a platform which was about 15' off the ground. I got out of the truck, fortunately and they started to lift one end of the ramp using hydraulics. Kind of like a lift bridge. They raised the ramp until it was at a 45 degree angle. The cab of the truck was about 85' in the air. The paper slid out of the trailer onto a conveyor belt. If the paper got stuck they would jerk the ramp a little bit and the truck would bounce and the paper would fall out. After it was empty they lowered the ramp. When I got into the truck most of my stuff was lying on the bunk. (if this is confusing, call Kathy or Kara. I explained it to them on the phone. Or, you can call me. )

One of the workers said that he and a buddy would hoist each other up on the ramp in the middle of the night when their bosses weren't around. He said they could are the town that was 10 miles away.

After that adventure, I was sent to Statesboro, GA to pick up a trailer at a Walmart Dist Center. I'm taking that to Hopkinsville, KY (southwestern KY). I'll be there late morning tomorrow. It's a high value load, but I don't know what I'm specifically carrying.

I hope you are all having a nice weekend. I'll let you know where I'm going next when I find out. - James (Jibs - Dad/Papa )

No comments: