Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mendota, IL

I started with a different trucking company this morning. (Monson). As I mentioned before, it has a terminal or operating center in Red Wing. I'm now in the process of a 2 day 'Check Ride'. I'm driving with a Monson driver who is checking out my driving skills and teaching me the procedures that Monson has and the paperwork that needs to be filled out. I met him at 8:00 am in Red Wing. We picked up an empty trailer at the terminal there and headed to Fridley, MN (an inner suburb of Mpls) and picked up a load of rolls of paper. We than left for Mendota, IL which is 40 miles south of Rockford. We arrived in Mendota at 8:00 pm this evening.

I drove the whole time and adjusted to the new truck quite quickly. It is an International. Schneider had Freightliners. Everything in the truck is a bit different. Gauges are in different places as well as switches. The clutch and brake have a different feel to them. I need to shift at different speeds and rpm's. The mirrors are different. The steering wheel is bigger. The seat doesn't have as much 'cush'.

I must say though that the driving is the same and many procedures with the truck are the same. (Hooking up to a trailer, backing up to the dock, moving the trailer tires forward or back. )

The man I'm driving with is 64 and has been driving for 11 years. He is very nice. He has 2 children and 5 grandchildren. He owns an Apple computer and listens to NPR so we have things in common. I'll drive with him again tomorrow.

After delivering in Mendota tomorrow at 6:00 am we then drive down to Normal, IL and picked up a load of scrap paper which we will take up to Duluth by tomorrow afternoon. I'll spend the night there and on thursday have a day of orientation and then return to Red Wing late thursday afternoon.

Tonight, Monson is putting me up at a motel which is nice. I'm on my computer now, but will fall asleep soon.

I hope you all are doing well. I'll let you know how this time of adjustment goes. - James (Jibs - Dad/Papa )

No comments: