Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Detroit Lakes, MN

I started out from Red Wing last night at 9:00 pm. I had to take an empty trailer to Eau Claire (Menard's Distribution Center) drop it and pick up a loaded trailer by 11:00 pm. From there I was to take it to Detroit Lakes, MN for a 5:00 am delivery (290 miles).

Everything went smoothly until halfway through the drive to Detroit Lakes. First, I got really tired, so I stopped at a truck stop near Alexandria, MN. I heard there that I was driving into a snow storm. And sure enough I did. I also discovered that the interstate I was on (I-94) was closed north of Alexandria due to the snow and 3 semi's that had gone into a ditch. I had to pull off onto a exit ramp and wait 2 hours for the highway to reopen. I slept most of the time. When I got back on the road, it was snow packed and I could only drive 45 mph. I did that for about 100 miles. When I arrived at the Menards in Detroit Lakes their lot was full of snow so I had to wait over an hour for them to clear it out enough for me to back up to their dock.

When they are done unloading I'll need to take a 10 hour break, since I was on the road all night. I'll try to sleep for a few hours. I'll be able to start again at 6:00 pm this evening.

Fortunately, I didn't slip or slide at all while driving. I'm glad spring is starting to emerge up here in the 'Frozen Tundra'. I'm looking forward to driy roads and warmer temps.

I hope you all had a good weekend. Root for the Cubs! It's been 100 years since they've won anything. I think it is about time. - James (Jibs - Dad/Papa )

No comments: